- This event has passed.
Deaf Awareness with charity Deaf Action
29 August 2022 @ 13:00 - 15:00
We are pleased to offer 16 FREE places to members of the SUPER community to attend an online Deaf Awareness course led by Deaf Action.
With over 5% of the world’s population having disabling hearing loss, and with 70 million people in the world whose first language or mother tongue is sign language (World Federation of the Deaf), Deaf people can feel excluded from so many community activities simply because of communication barriers. Being able to communicate with each other is the key to people working together and being able to disseminate our research as widely as possible.
Topics that will be covered include:
• Types of hearing loss, causes & conditions
• Recognising someone has a hearing loss
• Communication tactics
• Getting attention and politeness
• Everyday workplace barriers & how to break them
• The difficulties of lipreading & practical exercise
• Inclusion & equal opportunities in the workplace for employers & colleagues
• Effective practices for working with a deaf person
• Do’s and Don’ts
Find out more and sign up here. Please note that if we receive more applications than we have spaces, we will endeavour to create an illustrative group of the SUPER community so we can ensure representation across institutions.
Read more about the free training courses, events, and opportunities SUPER will be hosting as a result of receiving the NERC under its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) CDT/DTP Flexible Funding Award 2022 here.