I am a graduate of the University of Aberdeen with an Honours degree in BSc Biology and an MSc in Soil Science. I have a keen interest in agricultural land management and soil biophysics and in particular soil structure, soil water retention properties and environmental impact.
Water quality risks from soil structure degradation in Scotland
- To investigate whether soils across Scotland are being managed in a way that degrades their structure and impacts water quality.
- To broaden previous surveys on soil structural degradation in Scotland to include the Highlands and organic soils.
- To investigate soil physical and hydrochemical properties between degraded and less degraded areas at field scale through quantitative measurements.
- To measure the impacts of soil structural degradation on catchment water quality.
- To explore how rapid stresses, such as physical disruption by tillage or rapid rewetting of dry soil, influence hydrochemical processes.